Historic Johnson Farm
Ms. Anne Prichard, a third-generation landowner, protected her 168-acre Historic Johnson Farm through a conservation
easement with the NWA Land Trust. Her wish for the property was “to leave the land alone.”
Size: 168 Acres
Date Conserved: 2015
The Historic Johnson Farm is located at the base of Kessler Mountain near Fayetteville, Arkansas. Landowner Anne Prichard sought to ensure that the property, which has been in her family for three generations, would remain intact for generations to come.
The protection of this landmark property is an important conservation success for our region. The property is highly ranked in the NWA Open Space Plan due to its cultural, historic, wildlife, scenic and water quality values. The farm was acquired by the Johnson family in the early 1900’s. The striking white barn is on the National Register of Historic Places and is the subject of a painting by acclaimed watercolor artist, George Dombek. The barn and Ms. Prichard have been featured on local PBS station AETN’s “Back Road Barns” program. The historic and cultural significance of the property is further advanced by the presence of the family’s original home, rebuilt by Ms. Prichard’s father in the 1920’s, and the old pear and apple orchards which are reminders of Northwest Arkansas’ once thriving fruit production.
The property is also important for wildlife. With three undeveloped, forested tracts, including Round Top Mountain, a prominent landmark in the scenic viewshed of Fayetteville, the property provides important habitat for native plants and animals.
Water quality preservation is another important benefit of the protection of this property. Partially located in both the Illinois River and White River Watersheds, a spring-fed pond on the property serves as the headwaters of Cato Springs Branch, a tributary of the West Fork of the White River which feeds into Beaver Lake, the drinking-water source for more than 450,000 residents in Northwest Arkansas.